Forums / Categories / JD Edwards / Why upgrade from World to E1?

Why upgrade from World to E1?

If World is working well for a company, what is the driving reason to migrate to E1? If data digitization is what is driving this, is it not possible ? Why is the driving question to get off of the IBM i? If the IBM i is doing great, why coming off the system the driving reason as I heard in InFocus?

Ed, I have worked with many customers over the years who have migrated from JD Edwards World to EnterpriseOne and one of the reasons to make the switch is resources. RPG is no longer taught in schools and it is harder and harder to find RPG resources when existing IT staff retires. But remember that EnterpriseOne can be run on the IBM platform and some customers choose to stay with IBM when migrating to E1.
    Another big reason is the modern user interface in E1. Many companies find it difficult to hire new talent to work on the green screen - especially millennials! Most of us use smart phones, tablets and personal PCs where we use point & click and swipe technology which is why the E1 interface is intuitive and easy to learn.
    Comparing E1 and World, E1 is the flagship product where more development of new function and features occur. Premier support is a longer timeframe. There is greater visibility in to data in the system in E1 which pushes data out to the user making them more proactive rather than reactive. Instead of printing multiple reports, data is at your fingertips with new UX One functionality such as Watchlists, CafeOne and Composite pages. You can get more information on these features on Learn JDE (https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E84502_01/learnjde/index.html)
    Also, we are publishing customer stories on the Quest website and will soon have migration from World to E1 stories available: https://questoraclecommunity.org/learn/customer-stories/?filter=jde-e1|jde-world
    I hope this helps Ed, and please let me know if you would like to connect with similar companies who have made the move.

@Barb Canham , unfortunatly, that is a huge misconception. ILE RPG looks like C#. You don't have to code in RPG and you can use .NET on the IBM i. You missed my point. If data digitzation is what is driving most migrations then a 1 million dollar price is very expensive for smaller companies like mine. If you add in hardware, then the price tag goes higher.

I took someone who did not know RPG and taught them to code. SQL crosses platforms. I teach college and I am teaching at schools that teach RPG.

The comments don't really help cost justifying the expense. BI does the same thing as E1 and does it cheaper.

At the end of the day, data is data.

Looks like your connection to Quest Oracle Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.